July 22, 2014

Illustration Friday: Repeat

This is another IF weekly task - a Repeat.

One of the first things that came into my mind was repeat(ition) as a practice. I used to figure skate, you see so I know very well what a repetition means. It means hours of hours of practice to make one single move look and feel at least decent. Mostly, it is a tiny part of that move. And it's the same thing with drawing: you draw countless times of the same thing to make it feel and look good. For me - these are circles. I still can't find a perfect method to draw circles. Do you have one? I'd like to adopt it. Although, many say that there is an easier way: just to take a circle form of the proper size and draw around it. Or to take a compass, if the whole that stays in the center is not important.

This is my short process for making this sketch. It's not even a sketch. It's just a repeat of something.


I really thought of circles and then I suddenly I saw myself in a first grade trying to write my letters properly.

Funny thing. My first version of the letters was in English; I wrote "R"s, "r"s, "S"S and "Y"s.

And while writing those letters I though, hey, I have no idea how they learn letters in the US, or GB or any other English speaking country. So I did another one in Russian.

Here it is.

While writing I kept on thinking of something Julia Cameron said in her book "The Artist's way". In the book she talked a lot about making some baby steps to make a progress. So my ideas are simple and imperfect at this point, but I do my babysteps.

It's better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment